Cruz, F. (2018). Accessibility in online learning: Connecting universal design for learning and Paivio’s dual coding theory. Paper presented in the Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2018, 2156-2163. Retrieved from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/182823.
Cruz, F., Orta, N., & Smith, M. (2017) Identifying the type(s) of interactions online learners prefer among students during a 100% online course. Paper presented in the Proceedings of UNT LTEC 2017 Research Exchange Conference, 56-81.
Cruz, F., & Cody, T. (2017). Practice what we preach: A revision of an online teaching certification program. Paper presented in the Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2017, 493-498. Retrieved from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/177327.
Sperling, R., Zwahr-Castro, J., Cruz, F., & Montalvo, J. (2017). Whites aren’t bad, Asian-Americans are just better: Asymmetrical attributions for the White–Asian American achievement gap. Journal of Latinos and Education, 1-14.
Smith, M. & Cruz, F. (2018, November) Increasing accessibility awareness…One online course at a time. In P. Cassella (President) United States Distance Learning Association’s 2018 International Forum for Women in E-learning. Presentation took place at the 2018 International Forum for Women in E-learning, San Antonio, TX.
Cruz, F. & Sperling, R. (2014, April) “Tell Them What We Do”: An Evaluation of the AVANCE Parent Education Program. In M. Berends (Chair), Division H Vice-President Invited Session: Fresh and Innovative Graduate Student Work in School-Based Research, Evaluation, and Assessment.
Cruz, F. (2018, March) Accessibility in Online Learning: Connecting Universal Design for Learning and Paivio’s Dual Coding Theory. D. Schmidt- Crawford (President) 2018 Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education Annual Conference. Paper was presented at the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education Conference, Washington, D.C.
Cruz, F., Orta, N., & Smith, M. (2017, June) Identifying the type(s) of interactions online learners prefer among students during a 100% online course. In C. Norris (Department Chair), 2017 UNT LTEC Annual Conference. Presentation was given at the 2017 UNT LTEC Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX.
Cruz, F. & Sperling, R. (2017, May) Something is Not Always Better Than Nothing: How Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI) Can Be the Schools We Need Them to Be. In B. Biscoe (Director), 2017 National Conference on Race & Ethnicity in American Higher Education. Paper was presented at The National Conference on Race & Ethnicity in American Higher Education in Fort Worth, Texas
Driffill, M., Sperling, R., Cruz, F., & Avila, C. (2019, February) Digital Divide or Divide & Conquer?: The effect of Title V funding on Latinx students attending HSIs. In R. Sandil (Co- Director) and G. Payton (Co-Director), 2019 Winter Roundtable. Poster session was presented at the Winter Roundtable, New York, NY.
Sperling, R., Cruz, F., Zwahr-Castro, J. (2017, May) The (Dis)Advantage of Paired Samples T-Test with High Missing Data: Addressing a Perennial Problem in Our K-12 Schools. In S. Rajaram (President), 2017 Association for Psychological Science.
Cody, T. L., Cruz, F., Cox, C. B. (2017, March) Online Training and the Learner’s Perspective: Bridging the Gap. In K. Henry (President), 2017 Southwestern Psychological Association Annual Convention. Talk occurred at the Southwestern Psychological Association Convention, San Antonio, TX.
Cruz, F., Cody, T. L., (2017, March) Practice What We Preach: A Revision of an Online Teaching Certification Program. N D. Schmidt- Crawford (President) 2017 Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education Annual Conference.
Cody, T. L., Cruz, F. (2017, February) The Learner Perspective: An Evaluation of an Online Training Program.
Cody, T. L., Cruz, F. (2017, February) Accessibility for All? A Revision of an Online Teaching Certification Program. In R.
Sperling, R., Cruz, F., Cardenas, B. (2014, April) “How Do We Know They Know?”: Development of the APQ for AVANCE National. In M. Berends (Chair), American Educational Research Association 2014 Annual Meeting.
Cruz, F., Kuhn, C., Carpentier, B., Sperling, R. (2014, April) Money Doesn’t Make Mañana Come Any Faster: Progress and stagnation in Latina faculty representation on HSI campuses. In S. Mazzula (Director), Latina Researchers Conference.
Cruz, F., Carpentier, B., Kuhn, C., Sperling, R. (2014, February) We’re Good Enough, We’re Smart Enough, and Doggone
Hernandez, H., Sperling, R., Cruz, F., Sanez, J., Ramsay, J., Beltran, J. (2012, February) “Why Should I Stay Late if They Don’t Show Up Anyway?” A Study of PTA Meetings as a Function of Social Class and Latino Representation. In L. Berry (Chair), National Association of African American Studies and Affiliate 2012 National Conference. Presented at the National Association of African American Studies and Affiliates National Conference, Baton Rouge, LA.
St. Mary’s University, San Antonio, TX
August 2017 – Present
- Provide research, coordination and leadership to St. Mary’s distance online learning/distance education programs.
- Guide the creation of online curriculum to ensure an exceptional experience for learning and a supportive environment for faculty teaching in this environment.
- Oversee the implementation of the comprehensive Online Teaching Certification Program.
- Coordinate project management with aid of instructional design team, subject matter experts, and instructional technology assistants to develop and support online curriculum.
- Work in collaboration with academic divisions to support the development of new online degree programs and certificate programs.
- Supervise the development and implementation of online student readiness program initiatives, including online student orientations.
- Provide support to the Faculty Institute on Learning Technologies and other initiatives.
- Pilot new processes, technologies, and approaches to online curriculum development/delivery.
- Lead the ongoing development and maintenance of course development standards, templates, models, and processes.
March 2015 – August 2017
- Lead revision of existing online courses and conversion of select graduate courses for online delivery.
- Lead Blackboard and Canvas professional development and Quality Matters training.
- Lead target faculty in piloting and evaluating revised/ new online courses including creating yearly schedules for all faculty participating in online course revisions.
- Reviewed online course designs based on best practices and national standards.
- Revised the Online Teaching Certification Program for online faculty professional development.
- Facilitated the Online Teaching Certification Program beginning September 2016 – present.
- Evaluated the Online Teaching Certification Program and assess participant feedback.
- Managed, trained, and assigned instructional design tasks for graduate assistants.
- Assisted PPOHA Grant Project Director in evaluation and institutionalization of grant activities.
- Assisted PPOHA Grant staff with budgeting and implementation of grant initiatives.
July 2012 – June 2014
- Assisted faculty and staff with instructional technology needs, both software and hardware.
- Conducted classroom technology maintenance and software updates.
- Assisted in creation of instructional materials for faculty, staff, and student use.
- Maintained equipment inventory in online database.
- Served as Team Leader of four student assistants.
- Trained new student assistant hires.
- As a part of graduate coursework: Designed and administered a survey to measure customer satisfaction of services. Surveyed executive directors to analyze the relationship of customer feedback and employee motivation and presented findings to directors. (October– December 2012)
October 2011 – May 2014
- Under faculty supervision, worked with non-profits to coordinate and implement new surveys within the organization and assist in program evaluation for the organization.
- Updated AVANCE Parental Questionnaire (APQ), a program pre- and post- measurement instrument and provided conversion rates of the previous APQ test scoring system.
- Created an experimental electronic format of the survey.
- Assisted with the development of surveys for data collection, data entry, cleaning, coding, and article editing.
- Presented research with a faculty member and other students at multiple national conferences.
- Mentored undergraduate students with research projects.
October – December 2013
- Tutored students for an Introduction to Statistics course; Prepared students for quizzes and exams.
Poly-America, LP, Grand Prairie, TX
September 2014 – February 2015
- Promoted to Recruiter after three months; Conducted screening interviews on phone and in-person.
- Maintained employment records relating to terminations, transfers and promotions.
- Maintained new-hire orientation paperwork along with the entry of new-hire information into the database.
- Attended to incoming HR traffic by updating employee files as needed.
- Updated Employee Handbook.
- Trained two new hires for the department.
City Year, San Antonio, TX
June – July 2013
- Returned as part of graduate coursework; Created and distributed a survey to measure employee satisfaction with organizational change; Wrote a Survey Report which presented details and recommendations to upper management.
August 2011 – March 2012
- Coordinated special events, such as Opening Day, the annual Golf Tournament, and board meetings, to attain fundraising and program development goals.
- Assisted with building community awareness about events, media alerts, and event operations.
- Converted internal survey to electronic format.
- Facilitated staff retreat by administering organizational survey to entire staff; Developed schedule and strength-building activities, and mediated an organizational issues discussion.